Is Your Home Ready for Winter?
Is your home ready for winter? Sustained low temperatures, combined with cold winds and winter precipitation, can cause problems for the interior and exterior of your home. Here are five common winter household problems to anticipate and avoid:
• Heating system breakdowns can be an uncomfortable and even hazardous issue when cold weather hits. Make sure your system is inspected and well maintained BEFORE it gets cold and you find out the hard way that your home heating system wasn’t up to snuff.
• Air leaks, particularly around doors and windows, can cause drafts and heating system inefficiency, that can cause winter heating bills to skyrocket!
• If you have fireplaces in your home they can be cozy and charming. But chimney fires are a big winter safety hazard. Make sure your chimney has been cleaned and inspected before you light the first fire.
• Roof leaks often occur during the winter due to missing or loose shingles, or because of poor design and maintenance. If you live in an area that gets a lot of snow or precipitation, check your roof for potential problems BEFORE winter begins and keep an eye on it for potential problems.
• Ice dams, especially here in Northeast Ohio can be a seasonal issue many may not consider.They are usually caused when melted water backs up, causing leaks. Keep an eye out for potential trouble spots along your roof and roofline.
If you get ahead of the game and prepare early in the season with some simple preparations you can be ready for the cold winter months.